Crash Report Libertor A.N.925, 18 February 1942 (2 of 3)

Crash Report Libertor A.N.925, 18 February 1942 (2 of 3)

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Crash Report Libertor A.N.925, 18 February 1942 (2 of 3)

Crash Report for Liberator A.N.925 on 18 February 1942 (page 2 of 3)

While we were attending Sergeant Wilson, Wing Commander Gates and Squadron Leader Kerr came on the scene direct from No.4 Site. They stated that Flying Officer Wakefield was suffering from burns and severe shock. He was left in S/Ldr. Kerr's room after anti-shock measures had been taken.

The 'Standard' van arrived at Sick Quarters at approximately 05.00 hours; both patients being received by Sergeant Smith. A.C. Owen remained in Sick Quarters to assist in putting the patients to bed in No.2 Ward. No time was lost in supplying hot water bottles, warm blankets and hot drinks. A sodii bicarbonate solution was applied to the burned areas and the patients made as comfortable as possible in the circumstances.

L.A.C. Underwood returned to the scene of the crash in the 'Standard' van to give any assistance that was necessary.

The ambulance arrived at Sick Quarters some ten minutes later. Firstly P/O Densham and the F/O Bannister were speedily unloaded and carried to the Crash Theatre. Sergeant Wilson was placed approximating the stove in the office, and made as comfortable as the stretcher would allow and supplied with hot water bottles and hot drinks. He was later put to bed in No.2 Ward.It was very apparent that both F/O Bannister and P/O Densham were severely shocked, thus every effort was made to put them into warm beds and supply all available anti-shock measures as speedily a possible. The wounds and burnt areas as far as could be observed were bathed in sodii bicarbonate solution and covered.

Further stretchers and blankets were placed in the ambulance, A.C Maidment being instructed to proceed to the scene again and to contact L.A.C. Underwood and the ?al officers.

In returning from Sick Quarters in the 'Standard' van, L.A.C. Underwood contacted F/O Claydon who was about to reconnoitre the area around the burning wreckage, but was ordered to keep to the path and be wary of the danger of further explosions from the remaining depth charges. After waiting an interval of some minutes he got into the 'Standard' van and proceeded down the path to No.4 Site. He was informed by onlookers that a casualty was present in one of the huts. On making investigation he found F/O. Wakefield in S/Lrd Kerr's room with the medical officer attending him. L.A.G. Underwood was instructed to procure a stretcher and some means of transport. The ambulance arrived at No.4 Site at this point, so with the assistance of A.C. Maidment, the patient was placed on a stretcher, put into the ambulance and conveyed to Sick Quarters with S/Lrd Kerr and A.C. Maidment in attendance. L.A.C. Underwood returned in the 'Standard' van.

During F/O Claydon's tour of inspection via ditches and covering mounds of earth, he mat Wing Commander Gates and Squadron Leader Kerr at variopus poijts which resulted in a complete circuit of the blazing wreckage being made. No evidence could be found to indicate the presence of further casualties. Being satisfied that mothing further could be done by remaining on the scene he ran down the path to the sick quarters.

Flying Officer Wakefield was put into bed alongside the other victims and all possible anti-shock treatment was provided.

The medical officers collaborated, examinng each patient thoroughly and prescribing the necessary prophylactic measures to be put in hand immediately.

All the wounds and burnt areas were cleansed and dressed under the medical officers supervision. Further anti-shock measures were taken as the necessity.

The conveyance of the six patients to hospital was a problem. The co-operation of the R.A.F. Aldergrove was invited in this respect; an agreement was quickly reached whereby our 'Morris' ambulance would take the place of the Aldergrove 'Albion' ambulance. The temporary exchange was effected with no loss of time.

Telephonic confirmation was given that three patients would be accepted by the Stranmillis Military Hospital and three by the 31st General Hospital. Accordingly the three officers were loaded into the Nutt's Corner 'Albion' ambulance

Many thanks to Peter Claydon for sending us these pictures, which belonged to his father, C.W.J. Claydon, who spent much of the war serving as a medical officer with No.120 Squadron at Ballykelly, Northern Ireland.

Wendling England Aircrew, Ground Crew & POW Stories

The following stories were complied by the researchers of These stories and diaries were either submitted by one of the crusaders, their relatives, complied from other publications, or taken as narratives from the crusaders. There are several more stories under each of the Stalag Lufts in the POW Research section.

Flying the Northern Route to England - Richard Hoffman, Ball Turret Gunner, 579th Squadron, tells his story flying from Alamogordo, NM to England.

Flying the Southern Route to England - Burrell Ellison, Pilot, 576th Squadron, tells his story flying from Morrison Field, FL to England.

Manny Abrams, Navigator, 579th Squadron - THE INVISIBLE LIBERATOR - We were not invisible. We were simply sitting on the wrong airfield and talking to the correct control tower. So - after another embarrassed takeoff (if such is possible) we made a new landing on the correct airfield, and came to our final stop on the apron in front of the tower.

Various Eye Witnesses to the Crash of Alfred - At about 2:30 p.m. I heard the sound of an aircraft and then saw a B24 Liberator approaching low over the sea. The bomber was very obviously in trouble, with al least two of its four engines out of action. As it cleared the cliff top and began flying inland, it veered to the left, almost as if the pilot was trying to turn hack and crash land in the sea, close to shore. However, during the turn, the crippled bomber lost height and its right wing struck trees at the edge of a wood on rising ground, an area known locally as Pretty Corner.

M/Sgt. Ernie Barber - 578th Crew Chief - The Diary of Ernie Barber from the beginning to the end of the war.

M/Sgt. Ernest Barber - ( as told to Greg Hatton on Sept 16, 1989 ) Another one of Greg Hatton's great interviews. M/Sgt. Barber was a crew chief for the 578th squadron. He came to Wendling with the original cadre of the 392nd.

Staff Sgt. Bert M. Beals - Nose Gunner - The mission Diary Bert Major Beals Jr on the Slayten Crew. Covers his missions from September 25, 1944 through April 20, 1945. Submitted by his son, Zachary Beals.

Berlin - April 29, 1944 - Annette Tison shares her in depth research of the 29 April 1944 mission to Berlin flown by the 8th Air Force on April 29, 1944, with an emphasis on the role of the 392nd Bomb Group. After several years of research on The Wyatt crew, including her uncle, 2Lt Douglas N. Franke.

Staff Sgt. Jim Blanco - Engineer 579th - As a member of Bell's crew I remember quite vividly the experience of that day. The mission started about 2300 hours of 19 June, when the C.Q. came to roust us out of our sacks with the usual info of breakfast and briefing times. After breakfast, briefing. I still recall the feeling in the pit of my stomach, because the excess trace line of our route in and out of the target area was not visible on the floor. This meant a long haul. The first two missions, or maybe five, it's still an adventurous experience. After that you start to sober.

Landon H. Brent - I flew thirty one missions with the 392nd bomb group 578th bomb squadron

Guy D. Carnine - Colonel Bernt Balchen's B-24 Airline - 578th Sqdn

Captain Bill Cetin - Lead Bombardier, Cassell crew as dictated to Mary (Rocky) Rothrock in January, 2000 This diary begins with Bill's notes on the Friedrichshafen raid on March 18, 1944 and continues with his missions notes through January 16, 1945. Rocky Rothrock, close friend and post war neighbor, was a gunner with this 579th crew.

2nd Lt. John B. Cihon - Nose Turret Gunner - This is the journal of 2nd Lt Cihon being shot down on "Poco Loco", during the Gotha mission, February 24, 1944 and his time in as a POW.

Robert D. Copp - Pilot AC # 27491: "Pregnant Peg" April 29, 1944 - One of the original crews from the 577th squadron and possibly, the only one to complete the tour of twenty-eight missions. This story is an account of the Berlin raid, April 29, 1944. This raid lost eight planes out of eighteen for the second highest lost ratio in the 392nd history.

Staff Sgt. William B. Dowling - 578th Crew Chief - The Story of William Dowling from being drafted to discharge.

Ray J. Dunphy - 578th Navigator - This is an excellent diary of the 392nd missions from December 13, 1943 through July 12, 1944.

Charles E. Dye - Charlie Dye was an Ammunition Officer with the 1825th Ordnance Supply and Maintenance Company - Well written story of his time from graduating from Ordnance Officer Candidate School on January 31, 1943 to coming home on the Queen Mary arriving at New York Harbor Pier 90 on June 20, 1945

Charles Dye and Guy Spinelli - LOADING THE BOMBS - We inspected individually every bomb that came in to the bomb storage area, referred to fondly as the "Bomb Dump." We inspected each bomb to ensure that the threads, the nose and tail fuse, the fins were all right so that there would be no problem inserting the fuse in the tail fin.

Burrell Ellison - OUR CREW - Pilot 576th Sqdn. Excellent written story on the first crew to finish all of their missions in the 576th Sqdrn.

Victor Ferrari, Navigator, 578th Squadron - What Happened To Ferrari And Roberts After Their Bomber Crashed is a story of what happened to them after being shot down on 13 November 1944 and bailing out. Great escape and evasion story.

2nd Lt. Douglas N. Franke - Wyatt crew AC# 42-7510: "El Lobo" April 29, 1944 - Douglas' brother, Robert, tells the story and the circumstances of the Wyatt crew who were all killed in the Berlin raid, April 29, 1944.

John Gilbert - John recalls several interesting events when his family moved to the Wendling base after their home at Unthank Road, Norwich, was destroyed in the heavy bombing raids on that city in April 1942.

Col. Lawrence G. Gilbert - ( as told to Greg Hatton on Sept 16, 1989 ) This is a well written account of how the 392nd was formed and it gives great insight of the operational and logistical challenges that could only be told by Col. Gilbert, the base C.O. at Wendling.

S/Sgt. Oliver Guillot - Waist gunner Kaminitsa crew, 576 sq. S/Sgt. Oliver Guillor relates his experience with the 576th, his last mission and life in Stalag 17b. Submitted by Greg Hatton.

2nd Lt. George Graham - Co-pilot Kaminitsa crew - Down 29 April 44, There are so many things that I think of now that I had forgotten these past years. Some days, out of a clear blue sky, I'II think of a thing that happened which I hadn't thought about in thirty years. I flew 9 missions with Kamenitsa's crew, but I had 22 missions all together.

1st Lt Gordon L. Hammond - Pilot, 579th Squadron - This "Statement or Report of Interview of Recovered Personnel" provides details on 1st Lt Hammond's last mission (April 22, 1944) and his imprisonment at Stalag Luft III.

Navigator Robert J. Harron - 577th Squadron - Schuster Crew - The Story of Navigator Robert Harron, KIA January 28, 1945, Mission #231, after a collision with 577th Sq. Dodd's plane over target.

S/Sgt. Hyman Hatton - waist gunner, Ofenstein crew. B24.NET POW researcher, Greg Hatton, interviews his dad on September, 1974, a 392nd POW from the Offenstein crew. One of the best historical documents of life at a WWII POW camp.

Final Thoughts from Ruth Hatton - One evening in July, 1945, Hy called me from Halloran Hospital on Staten Island it was the first time I had heard from him since he became a POW. He had not changed his mind about marriage and wanted to come to the west coast as soon as possible: "Let's get on with our lives."

2nd Lt Milton Henderson - CoPilot on the Gotha Mission. - Another pass just after bombs away and they got #3 engine and set it on fire. Number 4 engine was un-feathered in hopes we could keep up with the Group, but since it had no oil, it promptly ran away. Johns put the airplane in a steep dive to try to blow out the fire #4 tachometer had wound around beyond the numbers-screaming away.

Hugh Malcolm Hinshaw - HEAVEN TO HELL - Malcolm Hinshaw's story about being shot down and a POW

Box cars to Barth: S/Sgt. Hyman Hatton (392nd BG) - Camp evacuation from Luft 4 to Luft 1 January 1945 as told by S/Sgt. Fred Weiner (44BG).

2nd Lt. William Kamemitsa - Part 1 - Pilot AC# 41-100371 One of the most colorful stories I have read of the life of a very articulate and interesting 576th Sq. pilot. This story begins with his training in the US through the Berlin raid, April 29, 1944. Lt..

2nd Lt. William Kamemitsa - Part 2 - Lt. William Kamenitsa down April 29, 1944. Kamemitsa was POW at Stalag Luft 3

Lt. Jack Kaplan - An airman's experience in combat. This is a interview by Miriam Zverin of Lt. Kaplan and his experiences at Wendling as a navigator for the 577th.

Col. Myron Keilman - Friedrichshafen, A MOST DISASTROUS MISSION, March 18, 1944.

Col. Myron Keilman - The Gotha Mission, THE BIG WEEK, February 24, 1944.

Col. Myron Keilman - UNLUCKY HARRY, Col. Myron Keilman remembers Harry.

Col. Myron Keilman - THE BOMBING OF SWITZERLAND, April 1, 1944.

S/Sgt. Vitold Krushas - Engineer-Top turret Offenstein crew. When we came home, we were still 24 or 25 years old. We got home and it was all an experience. You've had a rough time in the Army, but somehow you were enjoying this stuff. We didn't know our lives hung in the balance, every time we took off in training. We didn't realize that it was always that way and it will be that way with generation after generation no matter what war. When they tell you" One out of five of you aren't going to come back". It's not going to be your crew. It will be one of the other planes:" Not me! Too bad fellas one of you isn't coming back".

John Krejci - Right waist gunner Kaminitsa crew and former president Stalag 17b organization. - "I got torn loose from my machine gun and drawn up straight. I figured: "We're down what's the sweat?" Just about that time, the nose dropped down and I sailed clear across the length of the fuselage. right straight through until I pancaked against the front bulkhead, behind the front cabin. By golly, I looked over and Ollie Guillot was right there on the other side of me. Archie Young looked up and saw two people sailing over his head and he said he saw us both pancake into the bulkhead about the same time. "

Sgt. Maurice Lampe - Letters and documents describing the Whitemore crew's final mission on 23 June 44

T/sgt. Robert Longo, Waist Gunner Rogers' crew, Down April 29 1944 Luft 1, 4 and 6 - "The fighters only made one pass. The bullets went right down the middle of the plane. The bombardier, Kane got killed I heard him holler when the fighters first attacked us. Eddy Gienko, in the top turret, had his flak suit hanging up there and said he could hear the bullets hitting it. Two bullets hit Bob Danford, the ball turret gunner. One bullet hit me in the back, but it didn't do anything it just went in and came out again through my leather jacket. The whole ship was ablaze, so I called them over the intercom and said, " Everything is hot back here!" The co-pilot, Dick Weir, heard me and says: Bail out. "

T/sgt. Robert Longo, Above the Clouds at Thirty Below . The before, during and after war memories of Robert "Smiley" Longo as told and written by Max Pottinger. Over 130 pages.

Joe Maloy - Sgt. Joe Maloy (BT) describes the Shere crew's final mission and his bail-out.

Lt. Col. James R. Maris - OUR UNFORGETTABLE MISSION - 578th Sqdn, Mission 23 was worth every "Penny" of it! - "Engineer to pilot, engineer to pilot: Our number one engine has been blown off the wing. Number three is stripped of its cowl and supercharger There's a three-foot wide hole in the left wing between engines one and two. The bomb bay doors are crushed in. And we've got a bomb hung up on the shackles in the bomb bay. "

Lt. Col. James R. Maris - THE SMALL SQUARE OF STEEL - When checking the B-24 next day, a hole in the left side of the cockpit was identified as the place where the shrapnel penetrated the airplane and, very fortunately, had struck my flak jacket. The doctor assured me that the shrapnel would have gone into my heart if it hadn't been stopped by that small square of steel. (I've kept the small section of flak vest and shrapnel and they're now part of my collection of memories from my B-24 days.)"

Jim Marsteller's search for info on his uncle's death. - This is the incredible story of Jim's search on the March 18, 1944 Friedrichshafen mission. His uncle, Jim Morris, was the engineer on the Books Crew, who was killed in action when the B-24 bomber crashed near Hart, Germany, March 18, 1944. Many authors and historians have commented that his research is one of the most extraordinary efforts ever made on a single WWII mission.

The John McCormick Story - This article explains why S/Sgt John E. McCormick is buried in the Dutch town of Zoetermeer and describes why he is still remembered and honored there more than 61 years after his death.

Bill McGuire, son of Lt. William C. McGuire, 579th Sq. - SECOND GENERATION AUTHOR/RESEARCHER SPEAKS OUT. This interview not only tells the story behind the book, "After the Liberators," but also underlines why discovering the facts about WWII history and of the sacrifices of our fighting men continues to be important for all of us."

William McGinley, Tail-gunner B-24 "Sally Ann", 579th Squadron - THE STORY OF HIS CREW AT WENDLING. "Our crew, commanded by Lt. Stukas, had arrived at Wendling on October 15, 1943 as one of the early replacement crews and had completed eight combat missions when, on January 29th, 1944, we were awakened in the very early hours for our ninth and what eventually turned out to be our last mission."

George W. Michel, Radio Operator/Gunner, 576th Sq. - THE SIG ROBERTSON CREW'S 10TH MISSION ON 11 JULY 1944 TO MUNICH, GERMANY. The excellent written story of being shot down over Germany, trying to keep the airplane airborne out of enemy territory, the crash and capture, then the Switzerland internment and final escape of George Michel.

S/Sgt. Jack A. Money - Diary of Missions of S/Sgt. Jack A. Money 8th Air Force, 392 Bomber Group, 579 Bomber Squadron October 4, 1943 to March 18, 1944

Jack Morris - Navigator, 576th Squadron, July 7, 1944 - On their 32nd Mission, flying B-24J 42-94772, the 392nd They were shot down after bombing an aircraft factory in Bernberg. Jack and crew ended up in POW camp, Stalag Luft 3.

Francis Nashwinter - MY MEMORIES - 578th Sqdn, Francis Nashwinter's memories - written 2001.

Lt. Leo Ofenstein, 392nd BG/576sq. KIA 29 April 44 - A tribute by his son and brother. - "In the violent skies over Berlin, two men held a badly damaged B-24 aloft through shear determination. Because of them, five crewmen escaped the flaming aircraft and had a chance to bail out. Three generations later, the names Leo Ofenstein and John Wall are still revered by the families of those who survived. "

Margaret Meen-Parker, English schoolgirl, WHEN THEY ARRIVED, I WAS NINE - There are so many memories of the airfield at Wendling, both happy and sad: being given "lifts" home from school, sitting on the crossbar of the GI's bicycles sadness in the classroom at Wendling School when we learned that planes had not returned the excitement and relief as we watched the stragglers, badly-damaged solitary planes, at first appearing as tiny specks above the distant horizon,

Oak Mackey's Life Story, "My Army Air Force Story" . Written 60+ years after his discharge. While stationed in England with the 392nd BG he kept notes about each of his combat missions and after returning wrote a larger version. This story is 60 pages of well documented events of the 392nd BG and Oak Mackey's experiences.

Oak Mackey, "Crunch Landing" at Seething . Without any thought and perhaps with instinct, I pushed full left rudder that caused the airplane to slew around to the left and we touched down in a sideways attitude. The landing gear snapped off, the two outside engine propellers broke off and went cart wheeling across the airfield. We slid sideways on the fuselage for a long way on the ice and snow it seemed like forever.

Ted Parsons, RAF Detachment - The RAF personnel were just as much involved with the tense atmosphere of an impending deep penetration mission as the American ground and flight crews were. At that time it seemed as if the war could go on for several years and the grim sight of severely battled-damaged and crashlanded B-24s and the occasional RAF Lancaster bomber brought that home most forcefully.

2nd lt. David Purner, Navigator, Ofenstein crew, Down on 29 April 1944, Mission: Berlin - "When we were hit, I knew where we were - I had just logged a position report because it was a good pinpoint - the weather was clearing up but I couldn't see Hanover. "

Diary of Lt. David Purner - This diary starts with his application for cadet training in February 1942, enlistment on April 4, 1942, arrival Wendling on March 24, 1944, shot down April 29th, 1944, captured May 1, 1944 and sent to Stalag Luft III. Forced march to Nuremberg in January 1945, then to Moosburg in March 1945 followed by the POW camp liberation by Gen. George Patton on April 29, 1945. This historical account ends with some vivid reflections of the POW life.

"Double Trouble Mission Notes" A firsthand account by S/Sgt George J. Reade George J. Reade was a young 19 year old from Brooklyn, NY, when he enlisted in the Army Air Corps. He was one of four brothers three served in Europe and the fourth in the Pacific. All returned safely home at the conclusion of the war in 1945. These are George's first hand contemporaneous notes from his 28 missions aboard "Double Trouble" with the 392nd Bomb Group, Squadron 578. They were contributed by Audrey-Ann Byron and Michael Reade.

The combat diary of S/Sgt Theodore A. Rausch - 26 TRIPS TO HELL - The 26 missions of the H.W. Miller crew from December 1, 1943 to March 24, 1944.

Lt. Jim Reynolds (cp) - Final mission of the Hummel crew, down 23 March 1945 (Wesel Mission). "In the last 81 hours, I had flown from England to Germany, been shot down, wounded, captured, rescued, hospitalized, hitch-hicked across part of German and Belgium. then flown back to England."

S/Sgt. Robert H. Richards - The RW gunner on the Beuchler crew, completed 20 missions between July 11 and Sept. 12, 1944. S/Sgt. Roberts spent the winter at Luft 4. In Feb. 1945, he took part in the forced march across Germany that ended in Halle, Germany on April 26

James M. Ross - OUR TURN NEXT - as told to his son, James E. Ross The complete history of a WWII Crusader from induction to the missions he flew , to being shot down, to being captured, to life in 3 different POW camps and death march survivor, to liberation and discharge. This is the story for all educators to know the life of a WWII soldier.

Everett F. Satterly - The history of the engineer of James Sibley's crew of the 578th Bomb Squadron.

Birdie Schmidt Larrick - THE WAY IT WAS, Reminiscences About the American Red Cross Aeroclub at Wendling by Birdie Schmidt Larrick. Birdie was the ARC Program Director at the 392nd BG from December 1943 to early 1945. She was so well-liked that one of the Group's planes was named in her honor. This story and the many photos that accompany it provide a picture of life at the 392nd that is not otherwise documented.

Birdie Schmidt Larrick - The American Red Cross Aeroclub At Wendling, A brief history and stories of the American Red Cross Aeroclub from the 20th Century Crusaders book in four sections.

Sgt. Bernard Sender - 579th Turret Mechanic - Sgt. Sender tells about the day-to-day life of a aircraft mechanic at Wendling.

Louis M. Stephens - A SHORT SAGA - Our crew flew 7 more missions before being shot down September the 9th 1944 on a mission to Maintz, Germany. There were two explosions that destroyed JAW-JA-BOY immediately after going over the target. Bill Riddleberger and I were blown out of the aircraft by the second explosion which was the only way we could have gotten out.

Robert Tays, Pilot, 578th Squadron - FERRY CREW - Ferrying damaged B-24s from France back to England.

John G. Thiel - Sgt, Radio Operator/Gunner, 576th Sqdn - "I was a radio operator gunner on B-24s with the 576th squadron of the 392nd Bomb group flying out of Kings Lynn (near Norwich) England. I flew 30 missions and we were shot up and crashed on the last mission after dropping supplys to paratroopers in Holland. We also flew on D-Day. I have a list with dates etc. of every mission we went on plus a diary. I have many stories I could tell. "

S/Sgt. Jackson A. Tupper - His memories of as the Assistant Engineer on Lt. Burrell Ellisons Crew in the 576th B.S. 1943 - 1945

Bob Vickers Crew - The Niagara Special Legacy - The crash, the crew and the return to France This is the story written by Keith Roberts, Vickers Crew Navigator, about the crash and the events that took place when the crew returned to the crash site in 1998.

2nd Lt. John Wall (KIA 29 April 44) - Mrs. Carol (Wall) Williams remembers her brother - "My prayer is that this story will not glamorize the event of war. Words can never express the feelings families have when their young men are sent out to kill or be killed. no matter how noble the cause may seem to be for there is no winner as the cream of that generation dies. Only by living through this period can anyone really feel the pains of war:"

"Farmer" From London Becomes Part Of Bomber Interior Clear-Out Crew - by David Ward - "As time passed, I was asked to clear out the Liberator's interior after returning from raids. Naturally, I jumped at the opportunity and was issued a "service bicycle." We then cycled over to collect a "bombing up" truck, a vehicle which was a type of tractor without a cab, supported on a chassis which ran on caterpillar tracks."

"Waugh Crew" In his manuscript, "Not Forgotten. " Doug Willies recounts "The Story of the B-24 Crew Who Were The First To Fly "Ginger", The Last To Fly "Alfred" And How they were Remembered Fifty Years Later." It describes the men who were part of 2/Lt Colby Waugh's crew, their training, their missions, their fatal crash near Upper Sheringham, Norfolk, England, on 4 January 1944, and the memorial in the village that honors them. Doug's extensive research was done "In gratitude for the Freedom that we enjoy today."

Wyatt crew - Dedication & Memorial April 29, 2004 - Annette Tison and family travel to the crash site of her uncle of the Wyatt crew and dedicate a memorial there. This is a great testimony of individual research combined with placing a memorial to the crew 50 years after the fact. This story should inspire others searching for information on a loved one lost in the war and what can be done to remember them over a half century later.

Stanley C. Zybort - Aircrew SGT - The last flight of Zybort and the events of being shot-down and a POW. - Taking one handful after another throwing the chafe out of the opening. I plug in my head set and reported to the plane Captain what had happened. Armetta is out of action. He looks shell shocked. In a daze! I'm throwing out the chafe. Split seconds later the flak hits the plane. A hole just to the right and slightly below me. A blast of orange and black fire ball is seen out of the hole. I bounce up. I'm hit. The calf of my left leg burns. My flight suit is ripped where I was hit.

Crash Report Libertor A.N.925, 18 February 1942 (2 of 3) - History

Jayne posted this comment to the Kaimai Crash post:

I called a friend and fellow researcher tonight who knows a fair bit about Whenuapai's history, and asked for more info.

Apparently, there were two Liberator crashes at Whenuapai airport c.1943 (which, during World War II, was Auckland's only main airport). One remains classified -- but the bombs on board when it crashed are said to have been heard all over Auckland. The other involved the civilian casualties.

According to the researcher, those on board included Japanese and Taiwanese, brought in from all over the Pacific, and apparently they were involved in a planned exchange for allied troops. The bodies after the crash were cremated secretly at night, then the ashes were stored, and returned to their respective countries only after the war.

All around, a sad incident.

Update, September 2010: Further post on the Whenuapai wartime accidents, here.


Thanks for that, Lisa, excellent work :)
I'll ask at our local library for that book, it was a very sad event for everyone involved.

1966 Encyclopaedia of New Zealand has details of two crashes at Whenuapai in 1942 and 1943:

Thanks very much for that link.

My grandfather was the co-pilot of this crash, he was interviewed by a new zealand tv show doing a story on this. He often talked to me about it when I was younger.

Thanks for stopping by to let us know. If you want to, feel free to tell us more.

Very interested to read this, because I've been trying to find out whether Kendrick Smithyman saw this appalling crash, and whether the sight might have helped turn him off the air force, and all things to do with flying.

Do you fancy having a coffee/beer/some lunch (my shout!) and discussing Smithyman and matters relating to your own research interests? I'd be delighted if you did! My e mail is [email protected] if you feel like dropping a line.

Hi maps, expect an email from me soon. Cheers!

I was in the RNZAF many years after this happened. While at Whenuapai (from 1967-72 approx) there was old aircraft wreckage visible just off Herald Island. I was told this was a wartime bomber that had crashed. However, I was told there was aonther WW2 bomber that crashed in farmland at the other end of the Whenuapai runway, and this one reputedly had a large load of weapons on board as there was an enormous explosion. Further, my father was in the RNZAF at Whenuapai during WW2 as an air traffic controller, then was posted to Gualdalcanal the day prior to his departure a Lockheed Ventura crashed through the curved roof of the southern concrete hangar. For many years the repair of the roof was visible both form inside and outside. I have tried to find info on these events, never had any luck.
[email protected]

Thanks for your comment. I notice that there are loads of file references on Archway to accidents happening at Whenuapai during World War II. I'll see if I can pull them together in a list with dates for another post, and send you the link. Cheers.

My grandmother helped identify the dead in that plane crash on August 4th 1943. she was married to a Japanese who was one of the POWs on Soames Island.
There is a fictional book about the Japanese/alien internment in NZ called "The Swap" written by Wendy Catran based on fact ..and the plane crash is mentioned the book..All names are of course changed.
It is also recorded in the book "Tact and Tenacity" a book about the 1st 60 years of Women police in grandmother helped Edna Pearce (she was in the 1st intake of policewomen)set up and run an internment camp at Pokeno for the Japanese women.
When the plane crashed my grandmother and her husband acted as interpreters between the police and survivors and helped identify the dead..
In 2006 the NZ Police presented my grandmother with an award and thanked her for her volunteer help during that time.
She has lived in Japan since 1946. but periodically visited NZ..
If you google her name.. Jessie Banno..and check out the Police 10 4 that comes up it will tell you about her

Hi Rhonda. Thank you very much for your comment -- your grandmother sounds like she was an amazing woman. There's information about her service here.

She is an amazing woman. she will be 100 next year.
Yes I was fortunate to be given the video of her receiving that award by the reporter who did the story on TV1

If you like, Rhonda -- I'd be delighted and honoured to publish a guest post by you here on Timespanner about her. Feel free to contact me at [email protected]

This just received from a reader, Mitchell Hutchings:

"Hi – I’ve just read your post about the 1943 crash at Whenuapai. My father grew up in Greenhithe and was an avid plane spotter. He was a teenager when the crash occurred and always told us how he and his mates rowed over from “Devil’s Back” to the crash site once the military cordon had been lifted. They obviously went at low tide as he recounted having a good look all over the plane. He delighted in scaring us kids by describing how they lifted up a piece of wing and found a severed hand beneath! For many years we had an old fuselage door from the plane, which was a good source of hard-to-find aluminium after the war. I also have the navigator’s map folder that Dad retrieved and cleaned – a somewhat macabre souvenir from a wartime accident.

"There is still part of the wreckage visible at low tide just off the Hobsonville approaches to the Upper Harbour Bridge. At least that’s what I’ve always understood it to be. Many years ago it was way more recognisable as a piece of aircraft."

Hi, I am leading a project at Hobsonville Point Secondary which is investigating and doing archaeology around the crashes from Whenuapai. We have been out to investigate the wreckage by the Upper Harbour Bridge and found that it is a piece of a wing - but we can't identify if it is in fact from the Liberator or some other crash. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

We are also planning to go and see if there are any other pieces we can find in the mud-flats off the end of Pohutukawa Rd - any confirmation that we might be looking in the right place would also be greatly appreciated!

Gordon Henry Taylor "Gord" Farquharson

By P/O H. R. McDONALD, A Canadian Airfield in France, June 29, 1944 - (CP) - Canadian fighter planes, in one of the most brilliant achievements in the history of the R.C.A.F., shot down 26 out of a total of 34 enemy aircraft destroyed over the Normandy front between dawn and dusk yesterday.
In addition, R.C.A.F. pilots chalked up a number of enemy planes probably shot down and a number of others which were damaged.
Four pilots scored double kills. They were W/C J. E. (Johnny) Johnson, English&ndashborn commander of a Canadian fighter wing operating from an R.C.A.F. base in Normandy, and F/Ls. H. C. Trainor, Charlottetown W. T. Klersy, 14 Harcroft Rd., Toronto, and R. K. Hayward, St. John's, Nfld.

Destroys Two, Damages Third
Hayward destroyed two FW-190's and damaged a third, which gave him the highest R.C.A.F. individual score of the day.
Earlier reports indicated the Canadian airmen had downed 18 enemy planes in yesterday's daylight operations.
The complete figures were reached by intelligence officers today after a period of aerial operations which exceeded in intensity anything since the Allied Normandy beachhead was opened June 6.
Besides the toll of enemy planes, which included all fighter types, R.C.A.F. pilots also strafed transport on the roads.Final claims on two aircraft are being sifted
Among the R.C.A.F. Spitfire pilots contributing to the total with one Hun each were: F/Ls. Irving Kennedy, Cumberland, Ont. G. R. Patterson, Kelowna, B.C. J. McElroy, Kamloops, B.C. Henry Zary, New York R. M. Stayner, Saskatoon A. F. Halcrow, Penticton, B.C. G. W. Johnson, 102 Beechwood Ave., Hamilton, Ont. D. E. Noonan, 146 Willingdon Ave., Kingston, Ont. J. P. Rainville, Montreal and Flying Officers W. J. Banks, Leaside, Ont. and G. H. Farquharson, Corbyville, Ont.
W/C Johnson's score of two brought his total of enemy planes downed to 32, equaling the mark set by G/C A. G. (Sailor) Malan, a South African now on ground duty.
Among the R.C.A.F. fliers scoring probables were F/O A. C. Brandon, Timmins, Ont. F/O J. B. O'Sullivan, Vancouver and P/O J. M. Flood, Hearst, Ont.

Nine Others Damaged
At least nine others wire damaged by fliers of the R.C.A.F.
Of the wings comprising G/C W. (Bill) MacBrien's R.C.A.F. sector, the one led by 22-year-old W/C George Keefer, D.F.C. and Bar, Charlottetown, was high scorer of the day with 13 confirmed victories. Johnson's wing was second with seven, in a close race with a unit led by W/C R. A. Buckham, Vancouver.
The margin for Keefer's wing was established in two dusk operations in which seven enemy planes were destroyed and two damaged. In the first action Hayward sighted more than 25 Nazi fighters and led his formation in pursuit. He damaged one.
Later the same Spitfires became embroiled with a dozen FW-190's, and Hayward got two of them. The first fell out of control, and the second burst into flames and crashed after Hayward had followed it down to tree-top height.
"The Huns were like bees,&rdquo said WO. Murray Havers, 1 Lloyd St., Hamilton. Ont. "They seemed confused and acted as though they did not know what they were doing."
The Canadian airmen said the Germans did not put up much of a fight despite their numerical advantage.
Other Canadians credited with kills during the day were F/O G. R. Stephen, Montreal F/O Larry Robillard, Ottawa F/O W. A. Gilbert, Dartmouth, N.S. F/O Don Goodwin, Maynooth, Ont. and F/O Tommy Wheler, 10 Beauford Rd., Toronto.
F/O Klersy took a prominent part in athletics at St. Michael's College, playing hockey and rugby. He also rowed for his college, and was goalie for Ostrander's mercantile hockey team. Enlisting in June 1941, he took aircrew training in Toronto, Oshawa and Dunnville and after nearly a year with a fighter squadron at Bagotville, F/O Klersy went overseas in May 1942.
The 21-year-year old airman is the son of Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Klersy, 14 Harcroft Rd.

Born in Toronto, 10 May 1921
Home in Corbeyville, Ontario
In Cadet Movement for five years
Enlisted in Toronto, 28 October 1940
Trained at
No.2 ITS (graduated 20 February 1941)
No.2 EFTS (graduated 22 April 1941) &
No.32 SFTS (graduated 17 July 1941)
Flight Sergeant on 1 February 1942
Warrant Officer on 1 August 1942
P/O 29 September 1942
F/O 1 January 1943
F/L 10 April 1944
Posted overseas in July 1941
Further trained at No.54 OTU
Posted to Malta, 3 May 1942
- via aircraft carrier fly-off on 9 May 1942
Assigned to No.126 Squadron
Returning to Britain, he was injured in a
- Liberator crash at Gibraltar, 31 Oct. 1942 *
Assigned to
No.61 OTU, 2 December 1942
No.416 Squadron, 10 September 1943
Repatriated to Canada, 29 September 1944 &
- after staff postings
(notably No.6 Repair Depot, January to May 1945)
He was released on 14 September 1945.


Ottawa, Aug. 28, 1944 - (CP) - Air force headquarters announced tonight 10 awards &mdash three Distinguished Service Orders, four Distinguished Flying Crosses and three Distinguished Flying Medals &mdash to members of the RCAF serving overseas.
The D.S.O. went to three officers who previously had received the D.F.C. They were honored for continuing to display exceptional skill, determination and devotion to duty. The awards:

S/L G. D. S. Koester, D.F.C., Guatemala.
S/L J. R. McDonald, D.F.C., Victoria.
F/L H. B. Hay, Edmundston, N.B.
S/L B. D. C. Patterson, Calgary.
F/L D. W. McGowan, Saskatoon.
F/L T. A. Brannagan, Windsor.
F/O G. H. Farquharson, Corbyville, Ont.
Sgt. D. C. Harkness, whose wife, Mrs. P. L. Harkness, lives at 400 Woodfield Rd., Toronto.
Sgt. D. R. McEvoy, Lindsay Ont., (reported missing June 16, 1944).
Sgt. D. J. Webb of Kelowna, B.C.

FARQUHARSON, F/O Gordon Henry Taylor (J15976) - DFC - No.416 Sq.
Award effective 21 August 1944 as per London Gazette dated 29 August 1944 &
AFRO 2373/44 dated 3 November 1944.

Flying Officer Farquharson is a keen and enthusiastic fighter pilot. He has led his flight on numerous occasions and has proved himself a good and capable leader. He has destroyed at least four enemy aircraft.

Victories Include :

11 July 1942
13 July 1942
28 July 1942
27 Aug 1942
13 Oct 1942

JER McRae, HV West, GH Farquharson, JB Gould, HG McNab & DF Prentice

All content should be considered the property of the contributers and/or The Canadian Fighter Pilot & Air Gunner Museum - unless otherwise noted

Part 1: An Alleged 1953 UFO Crash and Burial Near Garrison, Utah

November 10, 2005 – Fifty-two years ago on May 20, 1953, it’s been said by a variety of sources that some kind of unidentified aerial craft allegedly crashed in a desert site near Kingman, Arizona. Follow the red arrow in the map below from Kingman to the yellow marked location two hundred miles straight north. The yellow marks a dry lakebed east of Fishlake National Forest which the U. S. government photographed in a grid pattern on June 11, 1953.

Red arrow points 200 miles straight north from Kingman, Arizona, to the yellow-colored DRES facility near alleged lakebed crash site, perhaps in May 1953.

Two dozen high altitude photographs were taken in a grid pattern of a large triangular feature in the dry lakebed near a government facility known as the Desert Research Experimental Station, or D.R.E.S. The triangle measured approximately 4,400 feet long and 2,700 feet wide. The measurements are from a 1999 geologist’s analytical report.

“M 14 AMS 11 June 53 126.” Aerial photograph taken on June 11, 1953, one of two dozen all focused on the region of the triangle feature which measures 4,400 feet long by 2,700 feet wide.

The location of this unusual triangle feature is 175 miles south of the highly classified Dugway Proving Grounds. At least one former United States Air Force pilot says he has firsthand knowledge that a large aerial vehicle “not from this world” impacted in 1953 where the triangle was dug to bury the craft – and perhaps to provide a permanent marker in the lakebed for unknown purposes.

Dugway Proving Grounds and its highly classified test center are 175 miles north of the DRES facility and the odd triangular crash site. Dugway is south of Salt Lake City, Utah.

The nearest small town to the lake bed is Garrison, Utah. A few miles beyond is Baker, Nevada, where at least one local resident remembers a vivid explosion of something in the direction of the lakebed around 1953.

Garrison, Utah is 30 miles northwest of the DRES facility. Baker, Nevada, is ten miles beyond Garrison.

On July 16, 2005, I’m standing inside the odd triangle feature in the lakebed. Three miles away beneath the yellow arrow is the U. S. Forest Service’s Desert Research Experimental Station, DRES.

Linda standing inside lakebed triangle on July 16, 2005. Arrow points to DRES facility three miles away, highlighted by yellow arrow. Photograph by Steve Jones.

The Desert Experimental Research Range was established in 1933 by President Herbert Hoover “as an agricultural range experiment station,” covering 87 square miles.

Map of the DRES’s 87 square miles featured in plaque at DRES facility which was established in 1933 by President Herbert Hoover. Photograph by Linda Moulton Howe.

According to U. S. government history about the site, range lands during the severe drought years of the 1930s had deteriorated, affecting survival of livestock and ranchers. No one knew how to manage desert plants, so the Desert Experimental Range was created to learn.

Dry, cracked lakebed inside triangle near DRES on July 17, 2005. Photograph © 2005 by Linda Moulton Howe.

In 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps, or CCC, built the DRES facility where the yellow arrow points below. 135 miles of fence was also built by the CCC to mark the boundary of DRES using hundreds of wire rolls and over 40,000 wood posts cut by hand. Most of the original posts still stand ­ a testament to the dry, high desert climate there.

Road and 1933-built fence to lakebed triangle. Arrow points to DRES. Photograph © 2005 by Linda Moulton Howe.

By 1935, the CCC built these two stone obelisks as a gate entrance to DRES, indicated by the yellow arrow.

Stone obelisk gate to DRES, July 17, 2005. Photograph © 2005 by Linda Moulton Howe.

Two and a half decades later on October 26, 1976, the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization formally dedicated the Desert Experimental Range as part of the “international network of biosphere reserves. This network of protected samples of the world’s major ecosystem types is devoted to conservation of nature and scientific research in the service of man. It provides a standard which the effect of man’s impact on his environment can be measured.”

Ordered by Amadon-Mahtai M’Bow, Director General of UNESCO on October 26, 1976, under the decision of the Bureau of the International Coordinating Council of the “Program On Man and the Biosphere.” Exactly why this occurred and what the legal implications are in making DRES a U. N. biosphere are still not clear.

United Nations Biosphere Reserve Designation for DRES by UNESCO on October 26, 1976. Plaque built into stone at driveway entrance to DRES buildings. Photograph © 2005 by Linda Moulton Howe.

Today in 2005 from the outside, the DRES facility looks run down with paint peeling badly on all the buildings. But a strange juxtaposition to all the peeling paint and boarded up windows are new padlocks and many new doors with brand new solid locks. [ Editor’s Note: Stan Kitchen, current manager of the DRES installation since 1999, says he has been forced to put on new doors and locks because vandals have broken into the facility. But he has no knowledge about the triangular feature in the lakebed. ]

Weed-filled circular driveway ringed by deteriorating DRES buildings and empty flagpole. July 17, 2005 photograph © by Linda Moulton Howe. Peeling paint and boarded up DRES buildings. July 17, 2005 photograph © by Linda Moulton Howe. New lock hardware on peeling paint at DRES, July 17, 2005. Photograph © by Linda Moulton Howe. New lock on brand new door surrounded by peeling paint, July 17, 2005. Photograph © 2005 by Linda Moulton Howe.

The new doors and locks stand out as peculiar amid all the peeling paint and unkempt look of the buildings and grounds. There is also fresh weather caulking around the doors.

Above: New door and locks surrounded by peeling paint. Below: Fresh weather caulking on peeling paint around new door, July 17, 2005.
Photograph © 2005 by Linda Moulton Howe.

From behind one of the decrepit-looking DRES buildings, a new mono-directional antenna is powered by a new solar energy array constructed several hundred yards from the DRES facility.

Above and below: Mono-directional antenna powered by new solar energy array, July 17, 2005.
Photographs © 2005 by Linda Moulton Howe.

Continued in Part 2 – An Intelligence Safe House Hiding in Plain Sight?

Crash Report Libertor A.N.925, 18 February 1942 (2 of 3) - History

Visit Military Aircraft Crash Sites
In the USA
You can purchase the military aircraft accident report and crash site pictures from AAIR for any of the aircraft crashes below.
See our ordering information page to learn how.

North American F-100 Super Sabre
F-100D s/n 55-3789
17 NOV 59
15 miles northwest of Las Vegas NV

Lockheed P-38 Lightning
P-38L s/n 44-24492
17 SEP 45
30 miles northeast of Daggett CA

Consolidated B-24 Liberator
B-24J s/n 42-50890
15 SEP 44
10 miles north of Flagstaff AZ

Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star
P-80A s/n 48-85271
11 APR 53
28 miles east of Boulder City Nevada

Vultee BT-13 Valiant
BT-13A s/n 42-42223
13 FEB 43
60 miles northeast of Marana AAF Arizona

Featured Crash Site
Yap Expedition
June 2006
U.K. Crashes
Virtual Crash Site Tour
Northrop T-38 Talon
T-38A s/n 61-0928
18 APR 1967
Devils Canyon AZ
Consolidated PBY Catalina
PBY-5A Bu# 48416
4 MAY 1945
Sausalito California
Martin PBM Mariner
PBM-5 Bu# 45415
30 NOV 1944
Mount Tamalpias California
North American F-100 Super Sabre
F-100D s/n 56-2931
1 JUN 1960
25 miles north of Nellis AFB NV
Bell P-39 Airacobra
P-39Q s/n 44-3082
29 JAN 1945
40 miles north of Las Vegas NV
Republic F-84 Thunderstreak
F-84F s/n 52-7071
14 JAN 1958
7 NE Swansea AZ
Northrop T-38 Talon
T-38A s/n 61-0921
26 JUL 1971
Superstition Mountains AZ
Douglas B-23 Dragon
B-23 s/n 39-052
29 JAN 1943
Loon Lake ID
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
B-17C s/n 40-2047
2 NOV 1941
Tells Peak, 25 east of Georgetown CA
Cessna UC-78 Bobcat
UC-78B s/n 43-7968
24 JAN 1945
10 miles south of Arlington AZ
North American F-86 Sabre
F-86A s/n 49-1148
10 MAR 1952
5 miles southwest of Patten ME
Boeing B-29 Super Fortress
B-29A s/n 44-69943
30 JUN 1945
95 Miles East of El Paso TX
North American T-6 Texan
T-6D s/n 44-81553
28 AUG 47
16 Miles Northeast of Williams AFB
Northrop F-5 Tiger
F-5E Aggressor
Central Nevada
Beechcraft C-45 Expediter
C-45F s/n 44-87062
8 APR 46
Near Danville CA
McDonnell F-101 Voodoo
F-101B s/n 58-0264 & F-101B s/n 58-0301
15 DEC 62
19 miles southeast of Yucca AZ
Lockheed P-38 Lightning
P-38L s/n 44-24745
26 FEB 45
10 miles west of Geyserville CA
Chance Vought F4U Corsair
F4U Bu# 50391 & FG-1 Bu# 13858
4 OCT 45
Mt. Tamalpias CA
Douglas C-47 Skytrain
C-47D s/n 44-76266
30 DEC 51
35 miles north of Globe AZ
AAIR field report for July 1998

To make up for missing July's crash of the month AAIR has posted a field report of our activities over the last few months to let you know why we have been so busy.

North American F-86 Sabre
F-86F s/n 52-5013
5 FEB 54
18 miles northwest of Moapa NV
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
B-17F s/n 42-5318
30 MAY 43
10 miles northeast of Covelo California
North American AT-6 Texan
AT-6D s/n 42-85684
14 MAR 45
20 miles west-northwest of Tonopah Arizona
Douglas AD Skyraider
AD-6 Bu# 135254 & AD-6 Bu# 135264
26 AUG 54
Mount Saint Helena California
General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon
F-16A s/n 80-600
12 JAN 83
T-Bird Lake Nevada
North American B-25 Mitchell
B-25J s/n 44-31401
11 AUG 45
25 miles south-southwest of Yucca Arizona
Consolidated B-24 Liberator
B-24E s/n 42-7350
22 MAR 44
22 miles southeast of Willcox AZ
North American F-100 Super Sabre
F-100F s/n 56-3743
7 MAY 63
16 miles west of Wickenburg AZ
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
F-104G s/n 63-13270
3 MAR 66
5 miles west of Aguila AZ
Gruman F6F Hellcat
F6F-3 Bu# 42746
21 AUG 45
5 miles north of Rodeo NM
Republic F-84 Thunderjet
F-84F s/n 52-6833
16 MAY 61
13 miles west of Wickenburg AZ
Douglas SBD Dauntless
SBD-3 Bu# 06630
10 SEP 42
90 miles east of Tucson AZ
WWII Airfield
17 miles west of Wickenburg AZ

You can purchase the military aircraft accident report and crash site pictures from AAIR for any of the aircraft crashes below.
See our ordering information page to learn how.

Horsham St Faith

Aerial photograph of Horsham St Faith airfield, 16 April 1946, taken by No. 541 Squadron, sortie number RAF/106G/UK/1428. English Heritage (RAF Photography).

Airmen of the 458th Bomb Group gather outside a hangar before a mission in July 1944. In the foreground are Joe Kania (without cap), Charlie Aillet (with cap) and Bob Vincent (with cigar). Image via Lieutenant Vincent Handwritten caption on reverse: 'Intill smoke cigars, 753rd Hangar & operations. Kania W/O cap, Cullet W/ Cap, Vincent with cigar.'

Pilots of the 56th Fighter Group relax with the papers or a pack of cards at a dispersal point rest room at Horsham St. Faith air base. Passed for publication 29 May 1943. Printed caption attached to print: 'A Match for the Nazi - F.W. 190 - the "Thunderbolt" New American High-Altitude Fighter. The latest Amerian single-seater fighter, the Republic P.47, known as the "Thunderbolt" has been in operation from British bases for some time. The largest and heaviest single-seater fighter - around 40,000 ft - the "Thunderbolt"'s top speed rated in excess of 400 m.p.h., at altitude, is derived from a Pratt and Whitney Radial engine of 2,000 h.p. fitted with Turbo-Supercharger. The armament consists of eight and a half in. calibre magine guns, these give a total rate of fire of 6,400 rounds a minute. In a series of operations they have shot down several of the German crack Fw 190s. Photograph shows - Crew at ease at dispersal point rest room. FOX MAY 1943.

Pilots of the 56th Fighter Group discuss route for a prospective sweep at Horsham St. Faith air base. Passed for publication 20 May 1943. Intelligence Officer David W. Robinson, in shirt sleeves, stands behind the group. Printed caption attached to print: 'A Match for the Nazi - F.W. 190 - the "Thunderbolt" New American High-Altitude Fighter. The latest Amerian single-seater fighter, the Republic P.47, known as the "Thunderbolt" has been in operation from British bases for some time. The largest and heaviest single-seater fighter - around 40,000 ft - the "Thunderbolt"'s top speed rated in excess of 400 m.p.h., at altitude, is derived from a Pratt and Whitney Radial engine of 2,000 h.p. fitted with Turbo-Supercharger. The armament consists of eight and a half in. calibre magine guns, these give a total rate of fire of 6,400 rounds a minute. In a series of operations they have shot down several of the German crack Fw 190s. Photograph shows - Crew discussing prospective sweep at dispersal point. FOX MAY 1943.

Men of the 56th Fighter Group gather outside a hangar at Horsham St. Faith air base to listen to radio reports of Lieutenant Ralph A. Johnson's dramatic bail out from his P-47 Thunderbolt over the North Sea, 26 June 1943. Printed caption on reverse of print: 'Men listening to radio as Lt. Ralph Johnson bails out of damaged P-47.'

P-47 Thunderbolts of the 62nd Fighter Squadron, 56th Fighter Group, lined up on the grass at Horsham St. Faith air base. Passed for publication 10 May 1943. Printed caption attached to print: 'The "Thunderbolt" - newest American fighter plane to reach Britain, Designed for fast speeds at high altitudes, the "Thunderbolts", newest American fighter plane to arrive in this country, has a wingspan of 41 feet, a 2,000 H.P. engine and a speed of over 400 M.P.H. Its ceiling, range and other details are still a secret. In the U.S. where it is in quantity production for the U.S.A.A.F. It is known as the P-47. Associated Press Photo shows: "Thunderbolts" lined up awaiting the take-off at a U.S. fighter station "somewhere in England".

P-47 Thunderbolts of the 62nd Fighter Squadron, 56th Fighter Group, lined up on the grass at Horsham St. Faith. Passed for publication 10 May 1943. Printed caption attached to print: 'The "Thunderbolt" - newest American fighter plane to reach Britain, Designed for fast speeds at high altitudes, the "Thunderbolts", newest American fighter plane to arrive in this country, has a wingspan of 41 feet, a 2,000 H.P. engine and a speed of over 400 M.P.H. Its ceiling, range and other details are still a secret. In the U.S. where it is in quantity production for the U.S.A.A.F. It is known as the P-47. Associated Press Photo shows: "Thunderbolts" lined up awaiting the take-off at a U.S. fighter station "somewhere in England".

Flying crew quarters of the 458th Bomb Group at Horsham St Faith. Handwritten caption on reverse: 'Flying Crew Quarters at Horsham, 458 BG.'

B-24 Liberators of the 458th Bomb Group line up for take off at Horsham St Faith. Handwritten caption on reverse: '458 BG Libs waiting to take off on mission. 81781 AC.'

A mobile control tower of the 458th Bomb Group at Horsham St Faith. Image via Tim W Kinnally Printed caption beneath image: 'Mobile Control Tower, 458th BG, Hosham St Faith.'

First Teddy bear goes on sale

On February 15, 1903, toy store owner and inventor Morris Michtom places two stuffed bears in his shop window, advertising them as Teddy bears. Michtom had earlier petitioned President Theodore Roosevelt for permission to use his nickname, Teddy. The president agreed and, before long, other toy manufacturers began turning out copies of Michtom’s stuffed bears, which soon became a national childhood institution.

One of Theodore Roosevelt’s hunting expeditions provided the inspiration for the Teddy bear. Ironically, though he was an avid conservationist, Roosevelt-led hunting trips often resulted in excessive slaughter, including one African trip during which his party killed more than 6,000 animals for sport and trophies. However, the idea for the teddy bear likely arose out of one of Roosevelt’s more compassionate acts.

Reports differ as to the exact details of the inspiration behind the teddy bear, but it is thought that while hunting in Mississippi in 1902, Roosevelt came upon an old injured black bear that his guides had tied to a tree. (The age, sex and state of health of the bear remain contested.) While some reports claim Roosevelt shot the bear out of pity for his suffering, others insist he set the bear free. Political cartoonists later portrayed the bear as a cub, implying that under the tough, outdoorsy and macho image of Roosevelt lay a much softer, more sensitive interior.



Thomas Baker

Military | 93rd Bomb Group
While assigned temporarily out of North Africa, on February 25, 1943, Baker flew as a passenger B24 41-23740. 'Red Ass' was forced to land in Spanish Morocco. The crew was interned. Chapter 10 of Ted's Travelling Circus chronicles their adventures in.

Lyman Dulin

Military | Master Sergeant | Ground crew | 93rd Bomb Group
While assigned temporarily out of North Africa, on February 25, 1943, Dulin was a passenger on B24 41-23740 'Red Ass' was forced to land in Spanish Morocco. The crew was interned. Chapter 10 of Ted's Travelling Circus chronicles their adventures in.

Alex Halbridge

Military | Sergeant | Engineer | 93rd Bomb Group
While assigned temporarily to fly out of North Africa, on February 25, 1943, B24 41-23740 'Red Ass' was forced to land in Spanish Morocco. The crew was interned. Chapter 10 of Ted's Travelling Circus chronicles their adventures in this incident.

James Holliday

Military | Sergeant | Radio Operator | 93rd Bomb Group
While assigned temporarily to fly out of North Africa, on February 25, 1943, B24 41-23740 'Red Ass' was forced to land in Spanish Morocco. The crew was interned. Chapter 10 of Ted's Travelling Circus chronicles their adventures in this incident.

Harold Kendall

Military | First Lieutenant | Pilot | 93rd Bomb Group
Harold Kendall was assigned to the 93rd Bomber Group / 409th Bomber Squadron and flew missions from England until the 93rd was temporarily assigned to fly out of North Africa in support of the Allied forces in that theater. On February 25, 1943, B-24.

Dell Kettering

Military | Technical Sergeant | Radio Operator | 93rd Bomb Group
Dell Kettering was on board B-24 41-23740 of the 93rd Bomber Group / 409th Bomber Squadron when it was being ferried from Port Lyautey, French Morocco to England on 25 February 1943. Short of fuel, the pilot, Lt Jacob (Jake) B. Epting, had to crash.

Ben Kuroki

Military | Staff Sergeant | Top Turret Gunner | 93rd Bomb Group
Crew member B-24 41-24105, flew on 1st Aug 43 Ploesti raid, returning safely to Libya. Second generation Japanese. Finished war as one of most highly decorated sergeants in WW II. Believed to be only enlisted man to fight in three theaters (Western.

George Metcalf

Military | Master Sergeant | Ground crew | 93rd Bomb Group
While assigned temporarily to North Africa, on February 25, 1943, flew as a passenger on B24 41-23740 'Red Ass' was forced to land in Spanish Morocco. The crew was interned. Chapter 10 of Ted's Travelling Circus chronicles their adventures in this.

Homer Moran

Military | Lieutenant | Co-Pilot | 93rd Bomb Group
While assigned temporarily to fly out of North Africa, on February 25, 1943, B24 41-23740 'Red Ass' was forced to land in Spanish Morocco. The crew was interned. Chapter 10 of Ted's Travelling Circus chronicles their adventures in this incident. He was.

Albert Naum

Military | First Lieutenant | Bombardier | 93rd Bomb Group

Units served with

93rd Bomb Group

93rd Bombardment Group (Heavy) was activated 1-March-1942 at Barksdale Field, Louisiana. On 15-May-1942 the Group moved to Ft. Myers, Florida to continue advanced flight training and also to fly anti-submarine patrols over the Gulf of Mexico they.

409th Bomb Squadron


41-24105 'Tupelo Lass'

B-24 Liberator
Flew on 1st Aug 43 Ploesti oil refinery raid, returning safely to Libya. Salvaged after crashing at Hardwick 11th Dec 43 on return from Emden.

41-23740 Red Ass

B-24 Liberator
Assigned to the 93rd Bomb Group, B-24H #41-23740 had been flown from the United States and delivered to the 2nd Bomb Wing on 2 December 1942. On 25 February 1943, the Liberator, piloted by 93rd BG pilot Jacob B. Epting, was being ferried from Port.


Operation Tidal Wave

1 August 1943
Operation TIDAL WAVE. B24D Liberators attack the oil refineries at Ploesti, Romania. The bombers flew low to avoid radar detection and dropped time delayed bombs. Out of the 177 B-24s that took part in the raid 167 managed to attack their targets. 57 B.

B-32 Dominator

Consolidated B-32-1-CF Dominator (S/N 42-108471)

The Consolidated B-32 Dominator was a four-engined heavy bomber ordered by the Army Air Force at the same time as the Boeing B-29 Superfortress. In reality, the B-32 was a fall-back aircraft in the event that the complex, technology-laden B-29 did not meet its expectations as the nation's premier heavy bomber of World War II.

The Dominator's original design was similar to Consolidated's existing bomber, the B-24 Liberator, in that it used twin fins and a large Davis-type wing but it featured with a longer, rounder fuselage and a rounded nose.

Although the B-32 was designed to the same specifications as the Boeing B-29, considerably more development was necessary by Consolidated to meet the USAAF's specifications. Pressurization and remote control of the gun turrets were abandoned and the twin-ruddered B-24-type tail was replaced in 1944 by a very large B-29-type single fin and rudder.

In the end, the B-32's testing and production problems resulted in limited availability, and consequently the bomber saw little action during WWII. An airplane conceived in 1939 was not ready for war action until mid-1945. The success of the B-29 Superfortress also gave lesser importance to the B-32 program.

A total of 300 B-32s were ordered, but only 118 were delivered to the USAAF. A total of 130 were flyable, and 170 more cancelled.